The Franciscan Clarist Congregation
The Franciscan Clarist Congregation (FCC) was founded on the 14th of December, 1888 by His Excellency Rt. Reverend Charles Levingne Bishop of Archdiocese of Changanachery in the State of Kerala, India. The FCC's first African mission was established in Kenya in 1989. The San Damiano Province, Noida, reached Tanzania on July 23, 2008.
Their charisms are the pursuit of perfect charity through a life of constant conversion and penance, experiencing personally and intensely the love of Jesus, sharing daily in Christ's poverty, humility, suffering and self-emptying. These charisms are expressed personally through deep prayer, universal love, total trust in the providence of God, complete detachment from worldly things, love of the cross, self-renunciation, humility, meekness, cheerfulness, simplicity, hard work, sharing, availability, inner freedom and fidelity to the church.
The apostolic works of the Sisters are care for the elderly, homes for children, religious formation, primary school education, dispensaries, primary education for the physically disabled and medical care in hospitals. The Sisters were invited by the Missionaries of Saint Francis de Sales (MSFS) to work with them at the SFS English Medium primary school at Kibaha, Tanzania. They are also involved in pastoral care of families and visits to Small Christian Communities. Presently, there are six sisters teaching at Kibaha. In Tanzania, the Sisters are active in the Mahenge, Dar es Salaam dioceses, Tabora and Songeya Dioceses.