The Sisters of St. Therese of the Child Jesus
The St. Therese Sisters of the Child Jesus is an indigenous diocesan community of the Diocese of Bukoba in the Kagera Region of Tanzania. The community was founded in 1933 by Bishop Burchard Huwiler of the Missionaries of Africa (White Fathers). The White Sisters from Europe subsequently fostered development of the Community of St. Therese of the Child Jesus.
"Ora et Labora", prayer and work, is the motto of the St. Therese Sisters of the Child Jesus Community. The community currently has four hundred and thirty-four members. An additional fifteen novices, three postulants and one hundred fourteen candidates are currently in formation. The Sisters have convents in Tanzania, Kenya and Burundi. Headquarters of the community are in the village of Kashozi in Tanzania.
The vision of the St. Therese Sisters is to have "a Community that worships God, imitates Jesus Christ and proclaims the Word of God so that faith and love are manifested in our services". Their vows of poverty, obedience and chastity assist in achieving that vision.
The mission of the community is to evangelize the marginalized in Tanzania, Burundi and Kenya through their spiritual and social ministries, especially serving women, children and youth, through healthcare, care of orphans, education from preschool through secondary school, and vocational training.